Monday, August 2, 2010

They break your heart every time


Here is my nasturtium tee-pee before I left on an out-of-state trip:


Here is my tee-pee as I found it, six days later:


Annuals break your heart every time. At some point, they just pucker out and there you are, left with the wilted, tattered remains. Have the plants reached the end of their life? Was it the heat? Was it too much rain? I am going to pick off the nasty bits tonight, and see what I can salvage. I can't leave you with the image of my sorry yellowing mess, so let me share the gorgeous centerpieces of my sister's wedding this past weekend:


These are homemade buckets of New Mexican wildflowers, surrounded by wind-fallen apples. Eat your heart out, Martha Stewart.

“I’m growing Nasturtium ‘Spitfire’ for the GROW project. Thanks, to Renee’s Garden for the seeds.”

6 comments:

  1. Abbie, I am not sure if you being home would have made a difference. All of the nasties are not doing well this year.

    I love the table decorations, so creative!

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  2. My nasties are nasty too. They're green (I've been watering them alot - so much for their supposed drought tolerance,) but the buds keep drying out and falling off soon after forming. Heartbreaking!

    Those centerpieces are really lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is crazy how much they changed in just a few days. In the same time frame mine haven't gotten any supplemental watering (besides rain)and they didn't fry like yours. Hopefully yours will bounce back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you love how the plants punish you for going away? My nasturtiums looked pretty toasty in early July but have improved since then; hopefully yours will too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My nasturtiums in pots looked exactly like this, too. Sad, because they put on a good show for a few weeks,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mine looked like that too, but since they were spilling out of a huge planter, I just gave them a massive haircut and trimmed them back to the lush green. Now they can start over a little bit.

    ReplyDelete